Splickety fills gaps in the modern reader’s day with concise, poignant fiction under 1,000 words. We want stories that hit fast and strike hard––stories that, no matter the genre, can cut through the day’s troubles and grip readers with short attention spans.
We primarily accept original, unpublished work by freelance writers.
Blog Submission Guidelines
Your well-edited story should be between 300 and 1,000 words long, but truly for blogosphere, 700 is our sweet spot. We publish blog stories that correspond with our current magazine themes. Read those here and submit by the same deadline.
We do not publish:
- Previously published flash fiction
- Scenes/excerpts/synopses from novels
- Excessive violence, profanity, or erotica in any form. Splickety publishes from an open-minded worldview, but we do have our limits.
Conversely, we don’t want thinly-veiled stories that preach from a soapbox of any sort, whether it be political, religious, or otherwise.
- Microsoft word document (.doc or .docx)
- Double-spaced, size 12 black Times New Roman font (do not manually space, use the setting)
- Indented to 0.5″ using the ruler (not a tab or five spaces)
- DO NOT include a header or footer
In the upper left hand corner of the document, include (single-spaced):
- Your name as you would like it to appear in print
- Your contact information (email, website, any social media you want linked to your story: Twitter, Facebook – as applicable)
- The title of your story
- The word count (of the story only, not contact information)
Send your story as an email attachment, NOT in the body of the email, using this file name format:
last name – story title – month for submission
example: Smith – My Amazing Story – January
Otherwise, it may get lost in our slush pile and not found until after a theme’s space has already been filled.
We only accept email submissions unless special arrangements have been made. Email submissions to Lindsey Brackett at email@example.com.
For your submission email, please use the following format for the subject:
Splickety Blog – last name – submission month
example: Splickety Blog – Smith – January
Include in the body of the email:
- Your first and last name (NOTE: If you use a pen name, we need both your real name and your pen name, please)
- The file names of the attached documents
- An author website (if applicable)
- A short bio with applicable social media links already embedded (Use a separate Word doc. Do not paste your bio into the body of the email.)
For multiple submissions, please send separate emails.
Before you submit:
Double check to make sure you’re fulfilling all guidelines. If you don’t, we won’t read your story until you resend it in the prescribed format.
Should we select one of your works for publication, we will notify you via email. If you don’t hear from us within 3 weeks, feel free to follow up on your submission.
If your story is selected for publication…
You will need to send as an attachment a headshot (.jpg or .png) and any related art work or photo(s). High-resolution .jpg or .png files should be attached to the email. You must own the rights to all images you send to us, including those of your headshots.
Thank you for your interest in our publications.
Please contact us with any questions or submissions to Lindsey Brackett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit stories published in one of our imprints, see the Submission Guidelines here.
In a flash,
Web Content Editor